What are the common symptoms of pregnancy?
- Morning sickness
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Back pain
What is morning sickness?
Morning sickness is the sense of nausea and vomiting which usually occurs during pregnancy. Morning sickness commonly seen during the first trimester.
What is Braxton Hicks contractions?
Braxton Hicks contractions, also known as practice contractions.
Sporadic, irregular, and often painless contractions that occur several times per day.
Why there is swelling of the lower limbs in pregnancy?
Swelling of the lower limbs- caused by inferior vena cava syndrome resulting from compression of the inferior vena cava and pelvic veins by the uterus which leads to increased hydrostatic pressure in lower extremities. This results in swelling of lower limbs.
Why there is increased in frequency of urination?
Increased in frequency of urination is caused by
- Increased intravascular volume,
- Elevated glomerular filtration rate,
- Compression of the bladder by the expanding uterus.
Why there is increased risk of Urinary tract infection in pregnancy?
- Ascending colonization of the urinary tract, primarily by existing vaginal, perineal, and fecal flora.
- Urinary retention caused by the weight of the enlarging uterus on the bladder
- Urinary stasis due to progesterone-induced ureteral smooth muscle relaxation
- Blood-volume expansion, which increases the glomerular filtration rate and urinary output.
Why there are varicose veins in pregnancy?
Varicose veins – caused by relaxation of the venous smooth muscle and increased intravascular pressure.
What is melasma?
Melasma- known as the mask of pregnancy,
Melasma is a discoloration, most often of the face. It usually begins to fade several months after giving birth.