What is Gestational surrogacy ?
In gestational surrogacy, the child is not biologically related to the surrogate mother, who is often referred to as a gestational carrier.
What is the process of Gestational surrogacy ?
and sperm of the intended parents or
- Donors are taken.
- Embryo is created via in vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Then embryo is transferred to the surrogate.
- Surrogate completes the pregnancy.
How the Gestational surrogate is choosen?
Surrogate is screened for medical and psychological diseases.
According to recommendations made by the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology and American Society for Reproductive Medicine-
gestational carrier –
- Preferably between the ages of 21 and 45
- She should have one full-term, uncomplicated pregnancy with at least one child
- Not more than – Five deliveries
- Not more than – Three Caesarean sections.
Which is more important?
surrogate's autonomy vs intended parents
The International Federation of Gynaecology and Obstetrics recommends that – surrogate’s autonomy should be respected throughout the pregnancy even if her wishes conflict with what the intended parents want.